Seven Forges

Seven Forges - James A. Moore

Seven Forges by James A. Moore caught my eye by the cover and tagline “War is Coming.” (Maybe I was subliminally hoping for something similar to another popular series >.>) I didn’t actually realized until I finished Seven Forges that the guy on the cover has a silver hand, so I am helping you by pointing that out :D. Isn’t it cool?? Anyway, Seven Forges has a pretty interesting premise in that it manages to mix traditional high fantasy with fairly realistic implications for isolated groups of humans separated for thousands of years. I’m hoping that there is a sequel, since I can see it going in a lot of interesting directions, but I’m just not sure since there isn’t a series indicated yet :(.

Note: I received an advanced copy of Seven Forces through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Some things may have changed in the final version.

Seven Forges by James A. Moore
Published by Strange Chemistry on Sept. 24th, 2013
Genres: AdultFantasy
Length: 330 pages
How I got my copy: NetGalley
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

Captain Merros Dulver is the first in many lifetimes to find a path beyond the great mountains known as the Seven Forges and encounter, at last, the half-forgotten race who live there. And it would appear that they were expecting him. As he returns home, bringing an entourage of strangers with him, he starts to wonder whether his discovery has been such a good thing. For the gods of this lost race are the gods of war, and their memories of that far-off cataclysm have not faded.

The people of Fellein have live with legends for many centuries. To their far north, the Blasted Lands, a legacy of an ancient time of cataclysm, are vast, desolate and impassable, but that doesn't stop the occasional expedition into their fringes in search of any trace of the ancients who had once lived there... and oft-rumored riches. -- Goodreads

Strengths:

• That guy on the cover is from a race of humanoids that got isolated from the rest of the world when natural disaster struck, notice anything strange about him (besides the hand that I already pointed out :-P). No? Well just wait :D. I was quite a fan of Seven Forges’ cool new fantasy race and am thrilled to encounter a book that actually has isolated populations diverging from each other!
  • Wow, that twist. In some ways I think I should have seen it coming, and I kind of did, but Seven Forges just lulled me into security and BAM! Craziness!
  • There is a definite air of mystery around a lot of elements in Seven Forges. It’s understandable that two races that are still trying to figure each other out wouldn’t share everything down to their favorite color, but it’s more than that. We never really get confirmation about a couple of mystical things and it worked well since it just made them all the more mystical :D.

Weaknesses:

•  Seven Forges has a strange habit of “foreshadowing” by just throwing in a sentence about what will happen in the future. It almost felt like these sentences should come with a freaking spoiler warning. I would have preferred a bit more subtlety like that mystery discussed above.
  • There are A LOT of characters and each of them have the typical first and second name and possibly a nickname. It’s really confusing to keep the switching POV straight when sometimes a character is called his/her first name and sometimes last name and sometimes nickname/honorific. I felt like I needed a cast list.
  • I honestly didn’t really connect with any of the characters. While there is a crazy amount of POV switching, there are definitely main and secondary characters, but I didn’t really get to spend enough time with any of them to deeply connect. I kind of shrugged at the end of Seven Forges since what happened to various characters didn’t bother me.
  • Crazy cliffhanger warning. If there isn’t a second book in the works, I will be sad. I must know the answers!

Summary:

Seven Forges is a mix of fresh and awesome fantasy and kind of struggling motivations. I didn’t get a lot of feels and had a bit of trouble following all the interweaving POV. However, I applaud a book that is willing to go as crazy realistic as Seven Forges did with that plot twist. I would very much like to read another story in the Seven Forges world, but maybe with just one POV?

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/09/26/3-stars-seven-forges-james-moore-earc