Full Blooded

Full Blooded -

Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson is the first book in the Jessica McClain urban fantasy series. I previously had read the short story prequel, so I was excited to see Full Blooded on NetGalley. Unfortunately it wasn’t quite my cup of tea (or coffee at the moment *jittters*), but I’m sure many of you will enjoy it for the light urban fantasy element ;-).

Note: I received Full Blooded through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson
Published by Orbit on September 11th, 2012
Genres: AdultUrban Fantasy
Length: 322 pages
How I got my copy: NetGalley
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

Born the only female in an all male race, Jessica McClain isn’t just different—she’s feared.

After living under the radar for the last twenty-six years, Jessica is thrust unexpectedly into her first change, a full ten years late. She wakes up and finds she’s in the middle of a storm. Now that she’s become the only female full-blooded werewolf in town, the supernatural world is already clamoring to take a bite out of her and her new Pack must rise up and protect her.

But not everyone is on board. The werewolf Rights of Laws is missing text and the superstitious werewolves think that Jessica means an end to their race. It doesn’t help when Jessica begins to realize she’s more. She can change partway and hold her form, and speak directly to her wolf. But the biggest complication by far is that her alpha father can't control her like he can the rest of his wolves.

When a mercenary who’s been hired by the vampires shows up to extract information about the newly turned werewolf only days after her change, they find themselves smack in the middle of a war and there's no choice but to run together. When it’s up to Jessica to negotiate her release against her father’s direct orders, she chooses to take an offer for help instead. In exchange, Jessica must now swear an oath she may end up repaying with her life.

Strengths:

• Urban fantasy is very popular genre these days, and Full Blooded fits into that popularity well. If you are eager for another UF series, then Full Blooded just might be what you are searching for.
  • There are a number of steamy encounters, always fun to read ;-).

Weaknesses:

•  There are some annoying inconsistencies in Full Blooded. Jessica has grown up on a werewolf compound her entire life, and yet it seems she knows absolutely nothing about them. I realize some things were kept from her, but there is just only so much that could really have been kept a secret with a brother, father, and friends who are werewolves….
  • I really didn’t get any sense of character depth despite Full Blooded being in the first person. As far as I can tell, Jessica is the typical UF kick-butt heroine with a difficult past.
  • Insta-love! Yes yes, there is a reason for it, but honestly I’m sick of the true-love-therefore-insta-love excuse.
  • Full Blooded had so many info dumps! Even the dialogue was filled with info dumps! I never sit back and read off a Wikipedia article in the middle of a conversation and I find it annoying to read conversations like that. It’s okay to have some mystery as a story unfolds, I don’t need to know everything about werewolves immediately!
  • There are cliff-hangers and then there are non-endings. Full Blooded had a non-ending. There was an author interview at the end of my copy so I thought I still had 15 mins to go and then BAM ending!
  • There are a number of grammatical errors in what I assume was a finished eCopy (since it didn’t say ARC on it). In particular multiple times there was “an” before a word starting with “s”….

Summary:

I ended up disappointed by Full Blooded unfortunately. There is definitely potential with Jessica’s interesting circumstance, but right now I just can’t look past how her story was told. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a number of more positive reviews for Full Blooded, so I would love to know what you thought about it!

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/09/27/full-blooded-by-amanda-carlson