Tuesdays at the Castle - Jessica Day George

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George proves that middle-grade doesn’t mean dumbed-down adult stories. Tuesdays at the Castle is a marvelously enjoyable read for adults as well, with a fun new take on the living castle and four excellent royal children to save the day. I had such a fun time reading this one as a “break” from the heavier books I’ve been reading, but I found myself also drawn in to a deep world with so much still to learn. I need to write this review quick so that I can read the sequel!

Note: I read an ARC of Tuesdays at the Castle that I borrowed from a friend.

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George(Castle Glower #1)
Published by Bloomsbury on October 25th, 2011
Genres: FantasyMG
Length: 254 pages
How I got my copy: Borrowed
Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

Tuesdays at Castle Glower are Princess Celie's favorite days. That's because on Tuesdays the castle adds a new room, a turret, or sometimes even an entire wing. No one ever knows what the castle will do next, and no one-other than Celie, that is-takes the time to map out the new additions. But when King and Queen Glower are ambushed and their fate is unknown, it's up to Celie, with her secret knowledge of the castle's never-ending twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom.

Strengths:

• So much love for the castle! Castle Glower, which Celia Glower and her royal parents and siblings live in, is quite alive and quite happy to prove it. It moves rooms around to express its opinion about those staying in them, and even moves hallways as someone is walking to direct them. If it likes you, it might help you get where you are trying to go, but if it doesn’t like you, good luck ever getting anywhere on time.
  • Celia and her siblings were awesome. Celia is the typical rambunctious youngest child, but her sister is also an excellent example of how smart and strong women can take on the typical feminine roles of running the household. It’s hard to keep a castle clean and organized even with staff to help! I loved the breadth of characteristics that the siblings covered, with an intellectual brother off at the Wizard’s tower, a brother learning to be king and trying to keep his throne, and two sisters who are both clever and determined in their own ways.
  • The villains were crafty and infuriating. This is where you go “what? In a middle grade book??” and I just nod and smile because Tuesdays at the Castle had such well-crafted villains!
  • There are hints throughout Tuesdays at the Castle that the castle has a very solid reason for being what it is, and the world is not as simple and fun as you might first think. I’m so excited to see what happens in the sequel :D.

Weaknesses:

•  The siblings spend the whole book in the castle, which is fun because the castle is cool and it makes sense. However, I found myself yearning to go adventuring and fix the problems out in the world. Maybe next book ;-).
  • The plot was fairly predictable, even though I wanted to throttle the bad guys at times.
  • At times I had a bit of trouble keeping track of what was going on and imagining the scene due to lack of description. It was only sometimes though!

Summary:

If you are looking for an easy and fun read, check out Tuesdays at the Castle. I might just have found a new obsession (moving and living castles), because this book made Castle Glower a character in its own right. I just want to hug it, though my arms probably wouldn’t fit…. Since Tuesdays at the Castle is so short and readable, it would be perfect for a read-a-thon!

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/07/19/4-stars-tuesdays-at-the-castle-by-jessica-day-george-arc