The Deepest Night - Shana Abe

The Deepest Night by Shana Abé is the second in The Sweetest Dark trilogy, so there may be spoilers for the first book! I’ve been really loving this series so far, and The Deepest Night did not disappoint. The emphasis was more on the war than the magic, since we have already found out a lot about the dragons and stars at this point. Because of this shift, the tone was slightly different with more action and less romance, which I think some people will love and others will be disappointed by. If you enjoyed the first book, though, you should definitely continue with The Deepest Night!

Note: I received The Deepest Night through LibraryThing’s Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review. I read an advanced copy and so there may be differences in the final version.

The Deepest Night by Shana Abé (The Sweetest Dark #2)
Published by Bantam on August 13th, 2013
Genres: Historical FantasyYA
Length: 320 pages
How I got my copy: Publisher
Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

It’s 1915, and sixteen-year-old Lora Jones is finishing up her first year as a charity student at Iverson, a prestigious, gothic boarding school on England’s southern coast. While she’s always felt different from everyone around her, now she finally knows why: She is a drákon, a rare, enchanted being with astonishing magical abilities.

As war hits Britain’s shores, and Lora reels from an unimaginable loss, she finds that her powers come with grave and dangerous responsibilities. At the request of Armand Louis, the darkly mysterious boy whose father owns Iverson, Lora will spend her summer at his lavish estate. To help the war effort—and to keep Lora by his side—Armand turns his home into a military hospital, where Lora will serve as a nurse. For Armand is inescapably drawn to her—bound to her by heart-deep secrets and a supernatural connection that runs thicker than blood.

Yet while Lora tries to sort out her own feelings toward Armand, fate offers an unexpected surprise. Lora discovers there is another drákon, a prisoner of war being held in Germany. And that only she, with her newly honed Gifts, will be able to rescue him.

With Armand, Lora will cross enemy lines on an incredible mission—one that could bond her to Armand forever, or irrevocably tear them apart. --Goodreads

Strengths:

• The fluidity and poetic nature of the writing continues to please. The Deepest Night was very enjoyable to read simply for the way the words fit together.
  • The Deepest Night improves on The Sweetest Dark somewhat with much less love triangle issues, however not perfect.
  • The grit and action of World War I comes to center stage in The Deepest Night, with the war being present throughout the book, not just at the end. Also WWI hospitals were gross *shivers*.
  • The hints continue to drop in The Deepest Night, making me really pumped for the third book. It’s gonna be epic :D.

Weaknesses:

•  The plot was much more focused on the very human problems of war, instead of the magical discovery of dragons and stars. I want more answers!
  • The romance element is getting more uncomfortable with the nature of dragons and the third book looks like it will be even worse. Also there was a bit of triggery stuff, but a human trying to attack a dragon doesn’t go well for the human….

Summary:

While The Deepest Night suffered from a bit of second-book syndrome, I still found it an enjoyable read. There were improvements in some areas but less magic than I could hope for. You should prepare yourself for a bit of men acting badly and the horror of war without very advanced medicine, but that darker nature to The Deepest Night also made it a compelling read.

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/08/14/the-deepest-night-by-shana-abe