The Demon King - Cinda Williams Chima

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima was my first Audible purchase! I remember seeing a number of reviews gushing about this series, and I can never let a great high fantasy series pass me by ;-). Since The Demon King is pretty long, it made sense to get the audiobook for when I ran out of review audios to listen to. I’m so glad I started this series, though I think I might try to read the next one to make sure I get everything straight, hehe.

Note: I purchased The Demon King on audiobook.

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
Narrated by Carol Monda
(Seven Realms #1)
Published by Hyperion Books on October 6th, 2009
Genres: FantasyYA
Length: 13 discs pages
How I got my copy: Purchased
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

One day Han Alister catches three young wizard setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. Han takes an amulet away from Micah Bayar, son of the High Wizard, to ensure the boy won’t use it against him. The amulet once belonged to the Demon King, who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. With a magical piece so powerful at stake, Han knows that the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back.

Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna has her own battle to fight. She’s just returned to court after three years of riding and hunting with her father’s family. Raisa aspires to be like Hanalea, the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world. But it seems that her mother has other plans for her—plans that include a suitor who goes against everything the Queendom stands for. -- Goodreads

Strengths:

• High fantasy kind of has to have a full cast of great characters right? While at times I had to sit back and remember who someone was, I love a world that is filled with named people that have depth and their own motivations.
  • I enjoyed all of Demon King, but the last third was my favorite by far. It was the perfect combination of suspense, dislike of the villains and cheering enthusiastically for the heroes.
  • While we stuck mostly to one country in The Demon King, there is obviously a lot of world to explore in the coming novels. I’m freaking pumped to find out more!
  • I liked the feminist culture that existed with the Queendom and Raisa’s attitude toward kissing boys ;-). Usually high fantasy falls back on the medieval trope of men in charge, but I don’t think Raisa would like that very much, haha.

Weaknesses:

• I admit that I had a bit of a hard time getting into The Demon King. I kept wondering when the plot would really get going. There was just a bit too much intrigue and build-up for me, but I’m quite confident in the action of the second novel!
  • The ending of The Demon King was a bit unsatisfying since nothing really got resolved. It is obviously building up to the second book, but I like the endings of even books in a series to have some sort of conclusive feel to them.
  • The narration was a little low quality compared to what I’m used to unfortunately. The recording just didn’t sound up to par and the narrator didn’t do a great job of separate voices for each of the characters. I couldn’t really tell who was who until a name was given :(

Summary:

Don’t mind me while I go read The Exiled Queen :D. But seriously, if you like high fantasy, you’ve probably already heard of The Demon King. However, if you’re like me and just somehow missed that memo, go pick it up and stick with it! You’ll be glad you did :D.

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/08/16/the-demon-king-by-cinda-williams-chima-audiobook