Bang by Lisa McMann ARC - 5 Stars!

Bang - Lisa McMann

Bang by Lisa McMann is the second book in the Visions series and picks up close to where Crash left off. There are some pretty big spoilers for Crash in the book info for Bang, so hope over to my review of Crash if you haven’t read it yet. With that out of the way, omg I loved this book! Crash was fun and interesting, but Bang takes everything to a whole new level. The stakes are higher, the characters are dearer and wow McMann delivers a beautiful message through this book.

Note: I received Bang from trading. Some things might be different in the final copy!

Bang by Lisa McMann (Visions #2)
Published by Simon & Schuster on Oct. 8th, 2013
Genres: ContemporaryParanormalYA
Length: 265 pages
How I got my copy: Borrowed
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

Jules should be happy. She saved a lot of people’s lives and she’s finally with Sawyer, pretty much the guy of her dreams. But the nightmare’s not over, because she somehow managed to pass the psycho vision stuff to Sawyer. Excellent.

Feeling responsible for what he’s going through and knowing that people’s lives are at stake, Jules is determined to help him figure it all out. But Sawyer’s vision is so awful he can barely describe it, much less make sense of it. All he can tell her is there’s a gun, and eleven ear-splitting shots. Bang.

Jules and Sawyer have to work out the details fast, because the visions are getting worse and that means only one thing: time is running out. But every clue they see takes them down the wrong path. If they can’t prevent the vision from happening, lives will be lost. And they may be among the casualties…

Strengths:

• We finally get a real romance in Bang, and it’s so cute, though a little cheesy. Since I kind of expected that going in, I just enjoyed the cuteness with no love triangle drama.
  • Wow, Bang has some tough issues: depression, adultery, abuse, and of course the big question of whether or not our characters are responsible for stopping the event in the vision. I found that Bang handled these issues well and while it was emotionally stressful since I just wanted to protect everyone from their crappy parents, it added another layer to our quartet of teens.
  • I can’t tell you exactly how, but McMann tells a moving and wonderful message regarding being a LGBT teen. Trey is a great character and he gets to be more involved in the events of Bang, but it goes further than that. I especially loved Jules’ internal thoughts regarding how people treat her brother just because he’s gay. I definitely want to be Jules friend, she rocks.
  • We’re starting to get some hints about where these visions are coming from, or at least the characters are wondering aloud about them, and I’m freaking dying to find out what happens in the next book. *checks pub date*

Weaknesses:

•  Jules has this annoying habit of saying “dog” instead of “God” in phrases such as “Oh my dog.” I do not understand this! Do kids actually say that these days??
  • There was a fair amount of immature humor that was amusing teen humor the first time and got annoying after that. Jules likes to refer to the meatball truck as “balls” and put “dot com” after phrases that could have innuendo. Probably amusing to other people, just not me ;-).

Summary:

Overall, I freaking loved Bang. I loved it even more than Crash! Lisa McMann really connected with me on a personal level with her firm message regarding acceptance of LGBT youth in Bang, and I just have to say thank you for that. I love how Bang manages to deal with issues that contemporary stories frequently tackle, but also has this interesting paranormal element in the visions that we are slowly figuring out. So when is the next book coming out? >.>

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com