The Hatching (A short story) - Liesel K. Hill

The Hatching by Liesel K. Hill is a short story prequel to her dragon magic series, coming in 2014. After reading this short story, I’m having a hard time waiting for book one! I’ve read a lot of dragon books, but The Hatching still managed to surprise me and I simply have to know what happens next D: .

The Hatching is available for purchase at AmazonPurchases made support this blog.

Note: I received The Hatching from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The Hatching by Liesel K. Hill (Dragon Magic #0.5)
Published by Amazon KDP on March 12th, 2013
Genres: FantasyShort Story
Length: 14 pages
How I got my copy: Author
Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

The story of a boy, identified by a dragon, whose life will never be the same again. This short story is a prequel to the Dragon Magic series, the first volume of which I intend to release sometime in 2014.

Strengths:

• I’m always impressed when a short story pulls off a plot twist since it’s hard to build up anything in only 14 pages. The Hatching completely surprised me with its ending!
  • The goal of #0.5 stories is generally to get people interested in reading the first book right? Well then success The Hatching! If you’re wanting to get an idea of this series, then this short story definitely will do the trick.
  • While a short story doesn’t leave a lot of room for character development, I am already a fan of the characters. They are relatable and fun. The ending suggests otherwise, but I’m hoping that a certain young lady will still show up in the first book ;-).

Weaknesses:

•  I have a hard time getting used to present tense writing, and this threw me. I think I’ll be okay with a full length book with that tone, but the short story wasn’t enough reading for me to get past it.
  • There were a couple typos as can be expected, but they meant I had to take a moment to figure out what they were supposed to say.

Summary:

The Hatching is a great introduction to the Dragon Magic series and I highly suggest dragon fans to give it a try! I will warn you that it’ll just make it that much harder to wait for 2014 though ;-).

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/07/31/the-hatching-by-liesel-k-hill