Reboot by Amy Tintera Audiobook {4 Stars}

Reboot - Amy Tintera

Reboot by Amy Tintera is a delicious mix of sci-fi, dystopia, and zombies, with a healthy dash of romance. Zombies I say?? Why yes, though not the normal kind of zombies I must admit. I’m not how many people would agree with me on that, since the Reboots are approached from a fairly dystopian angle, but when dead people rise due to a virus, I can’t help but think zombie ;-). I’ve had Reboot sitting on my shelf for about six months, ever since Tintera came through my city on the Dark Days tour! However, I finally downloaded the audiobook version because my favorite narrator (Khristine Hvam) voices Reboot, and I’m so glad I did! It also means my signed copy can sit safe on my shelf forever now :D.

Note: I listened to the audiobook version of Reboot, which definitely colors my opinion of the book.

Reboot by Amy Tintera
Narrated by Khristine Hvam
(Reboot #1)
Published by HarperCollins on May 7th, 2013
Genres: DystopiaSci-fiYA
Length: 365 pages
How I got my copy: Purchased
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.

Strengths:

• I love that Reboot is basically a combination of zombie and super-humans. It’s such a delightful sci-fi take on the normal horror trope, and since it’s sci-fi I wasn’t too scared either :D.
  • Did I mention already that Khristine Hvam is my favorite narrator? Yes? Well I’m gonna say it again! The narration on Reboot was amazing and definitely made the book for me. I cannot recommend listening to Reboot enough if you like audiobooks. (Khristine Hvam also narrated Daughter of Smoke and Bone 1 & 2, check those out!)
  • Ren and Callum are our lead characters and they are pretty freaking cute. Since we’re getting the whole story through Ren’s perspective, it is especially amusing to hear her thoughts of Callum when she first meets him and later on ;-). While I wouldn’t call their relationship slow burn necessarily, it definitely felt well-paced and realistic given the circumstances.
  • Ren has a pretty limited knowledge of her world due to what her life has been like so far, but there have been some interesting hints that all is not as it seems. I’m so excited to see what the next book holds since I’m hopeful and suspicious that our understanding of Reboots is going to completely change *crosses fingers*.

Weaknesses:

•  So Ren starts off the book claiming to feel no emotions and not really understand human behavior anymore since she was dead for so long. But then she starts feeling emotions and participating in human behavior quite easily. This transition kind of bugged me, since it didn’t seem consistent with her character, though I’m hoping that it is explained later in the series!
  • I’ve seen others point out that the romance is too much in Reboot. I wouldn’t say that exactly, but it definitely plays a bigger role than what really seemed necessary. It worked for me because Ren and Callum worked for me, but if you don’t like one of them, I can see where they would get annoying.
  • I was pretty surprised when Reboot ended. I had definitely expected it to continue for a bit longer. Reboot could almost be a stand alone with how things end (which doesn’t really make sense with my feelings that the ending was abrupt, I’m conflicted!), mostly because I don’t really know what the big conflict of the next book is going to be ya know? I’ve gotten so used to YA cliffhangers that a first book that doesn’t emphasize the problems remaining to be solve in the rest of the series was a bit surprising ;-).

Summary:

I very much enjoyed Reboot, though I think that if I had read it instead of listened, my rating would be a little lower. The narration did a wonderful job of making me really like Ren and Callum as characters. I want to be friends with them! If you listen to audiobooks you should definitely listen to this one, since I think I won’t be the only one that enjoys listening more than reading Reboot. I will test this theory with the second book though!

4 Stars