Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa {2.5 Stars}

The Iron Traitor  - Julie Kagawa

Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa is the second in the Call of the Forgotten spin-off series in the Iron Fey world. I decided to test the theory that you can start Call of the Forgotten without reading the first four Iron Fey books, so I’ve only read The Lost Prince prior to Iron Traitor. There are some mild spoilers for The Lost Prince in the description for Iron Traitor, so feel free to check out my review of The Lost Princeif you want to be safe ;-). I must admit that Ethan is not my favorite narrator in the world of books, so Iron Traitor didn’t go all that well for me. It felt like major second book syndrome unfortunately, since there is potential awesomeness for the series in the future, but Iron Traitor didn’t accomplish that potential in my opinion.

Note: I received an eARC of Iron Traitor through Netgalley for an honest review. Some things may be different in the final version.

Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa (Call of the Forgotten #2)
Published by Harlequin Teen on October 29th, 2013
Genres: Contemporary FantasyYA
Length: 304 pages
How I got my copy: NetGalley
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice.

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again.

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.

Strengths:

• We get to journey to more parts of the Nevernever in Iron Traitor and I quite enjoyed seeing more of the faery realms. It’s always fun imagining that goblin markets are hiding just out of site in whatever major city you are visiting ;-).
  • I’m such a fan of new and interesting critters, and Iron Traitor definitely delivers on that front. We get to meet more Forgotten and more fey of all persuasions.
  • The writing of Iron Traitor continues to be light and fast, making for an easy read when you just want to have fun!

Weaknesses:

•  Especially at the beginning of Iron Traitor there are a lot of info dumps to tell the reader everything that happened in the Iron Fey series (it seemed, probably not absolutely everything) and a summary of The Lost Prince. I understand giving reminders for important characters from previous books, but Ethan was explaining everything and reminded me of annoying boys I know….
  • Speaking of annoying boys! Ethan had some fairly sexist thoughts in Iron Traitor that really grated on me. He kept obsessing about protecting “the girls” and keeping “the girl” away from danger. The combination of the two female characters being inherently weak due to illness and the way Ethan kept lumping them together just did not work for me.
  • Ethan and the gang were strangely touchy about some things that really didn’t seem like a big deal to me and then didn’t see a problem with other things that were obviously really bad ideas. Priorities people!
  • I understand that teenagers sometimes fall in puppy love quickly, but it still annoys me when characters declare their undying love after a week of knowing each other. They didn’t even know each other before they started dating! One week is not long enough no matter the circumstances.
  • The Iron Traitor mostly felt like a set-up for the next book in the series. Nothing much happens until the end when a whole lot of bad things happen that clearly can’t be resolved before the end of the book. Then there is a huge cliffhanger that is only kind of a cliffhanger (you know what I mean if you’ve read the book, I mean what do you really think is going to happen??) but is clearly declaring the plot of the next book.

Summary:

The Iron Traitor has basically cemented my decision that Call of the Forgotten is not the series for me, though I know a lot of people have been enjoying it. If you don’t mind Ethan as a narrator and enjoy a mostly romance-driven plot, you’ll probably enjoy Iron Traitor just fine. I can see potential for the rest of the series because something interesting definitely has to happen at the beginning of the next book, but it was too little, too late for me.

2.5 Stars