Delirium (Delirium Series #1)

Delirium - Lauren Oliver

In a world were love is a disease, Lena has lived her whole life looking forward to her 18th birthday when she will be cured and safe from contracting “the most deadly of all deadly things.” However, dystopias just aren’t happy with the status quo, and Lena quickly starts meeting people and experiencing things that convince her the government might not be right about everything after all….

I have a rather long drive to school/work and therefore need to have an audiobook with me always ;-). I’ve found that the best place to look for them is the library’s YA section, because they are so much better than the Adult selection :D. I was hopeful for Delirium since I had seen a lot of positive reviews, but the dystopia genre has gotten so filled up lately that I just have gotten a lot pickier in what a book needs to bring in order to be new enough. Don’t get me wrong, I see a lot of promise in this trilogy, Delirium just didn’t have me jumping for joy, or even hopping really.
 Goodreads Amazon
Title:
Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Discs: 9
Genre-ish: Dystopia YA
Rating★★★ promising premise, kinda meh

They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever.And I’ve always believed them. Until now.

Now everything has changed. Now, I’d rather be infected
with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie. – Goodreads

Strengths:

• The premise is really interesting, since love does wreak a lot of havoc in young people’s lives, but I find it fairly doubtful our society would ever make the shift to wanting to go without it, given that we stereotypically consider life incomplete without love nowadays….
  • I really loved the secondary characters Hanna and Grace! Hanna is the best friend and she was spunky and fun. Grace was the adorable younger cousin/adopted sister that you wanted to cuddle and hug, so cute!
  • The plot twist 2/3 through Delirium was epic and completely unexpected :D.

Weaknesses:

• I wasn’t nearly as in love (haha) with the main characters of Delirium. Lena just seemed rather flat to me, and Alex was that guy that I could understand why my friend had a crush on, but I was not interested in at all. It made it difficult to feel much of a connection to the romance element, which is kind of a big deal if you didn’t guess ;-).
  • The romance plot is also pretty darn predictable, especially with the references being dropped all over the place *sigh*.
  • Again, while the premise is interesting, I really doubt that it would happen. The cool thing about dystopias is when they are eerily possible, and I just didn’t get that feeling with Delirium.
  • While Delirium is a solid YA dystopia, there didn’t seem to be anything fresh to bring to the genre, and Delirium just didn’t grab me as a book. If I wasn’t listening to it, I probably would have forgotten to pick it up again.
  • I don’t recommend listening to this one on audio, I found the narrator’s voice to be too childish at times and might have been part of the reason I didn’t connect with the main characters.

Summary:
As with a lot of books, if you are in the mood for a YA dystopia that doesn’t stray from the genre, Delirium is just your cup of tea. However, if you want something fresh and are freaking sick of books that ring very similar, then you might want to skip this one. The one thing I will say, however, is that where Delirium ends opens up the possibility for the rest of the trilogy to be much better (in my opinion ;-)) than the first book. I am planning to continue on with Pandemonium, partially because I know the library has it, and partially because I’m really hopeful with the direction the story seems to be going. If you are willing to put in the time for a trilogy, Delirium might be worth trying out. Again though, I don’t recommend the audio unless you like a fairly adolescent voice for the narrator.

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2012/12/20/delirium