Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone -

As if Prague wasn’t mystical enough, it is also the gateway to another world, full of a war between angel-like beings and beings part human and part animal. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the fantastic tale of a human girl caught in the middle of an ancient war and love story, with a destiny far greater than she ever hoped.

I was browsing the library’s YA audiobooks section when I was in need of a new audiobook, and I have found that all the best books are in the YA section :D. I had seen a lot of good reviews for Daughter of Smoke and Bone, so I figured I’d give it a try. Boy, I had no idea what I was in for! First off, I didn’t really know anything about the story going in, and so when it started off in what seemed like a very normal Prague, I was worried there wasn’t any fantasy in it. No worries people, there is plenty of fantasy :D.

Goodreads Amazon
Title:
Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Discs: 10
Genre-ish: Fresh fantasy with the human world too
Rating★★★★ OMG so epic!

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious “errands”; she speaks many languages not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself? — Goodreads

Strengths:

• Freaking awesome fantasy settings (yes there are multiple worlds :D) and the magic system is pretty nifty. It’s also pretty creepy, since it apparently uses teeth somehow, but I love that Daughter of Smoke and Bone actually has a real system for wishes and they use coin type things. It’s just so cute and logical at the same time, haha.
  • There is so much character development in Daughter and Smoke and Bone, it’s crazy. To be fair, some of it is kind of cheating (you know what I mean if you’ve read it ;-) ), but still, Karou grows a lot throughout the book which is nice to see. Also, the secondary characters aren’t left out :D.
  • While the story starts in a fairly normal Prague, it doesn’t stay there. You will never guess where it goes :D. This was probably my favorite part of Daughter of Smoke and Bone, because Brimstone and company were just so cool and how Taylor introduced them was wicked ;-).
  • The romance is literally a love that can survive anything *sigh*. I’m such a hopeless romantic, haha.
  • The narrator is wonderful! She does a great job at all the accents and male and female voices :D.

Weaknesses:

• The shift 2/3 through to another character is pretty disorienting, at least to me. I understand it was needed for the story, but I bet it annoyed some people.
  • There was also a fair amount of switching to Akiva’s perspective, which I know annoys some people, though I didn’t find it was too much of a problem.
  • A couple of times, Karou acted her age a little bit too much and flat out annoyed me. I just didn’t find the humor amusing, or had to roll my eyes at whatever was bothering her. Most of the time she was great though!
  • The fallen angel’s voice in the audiobook was sooooooooo creepy. I had to pause to collect myself and reassure myself that it couldn’t get me *shivers*.

Summary:
I’m sure that most of you have heard of Daughter of Smoke and Bone already, especially now that the sequel is out. I will echo what everyone else has said: if you like fantasy, you should read this book. If you like audiobooks, you should listen to this book. Daughter of Smoke and Bone has beautiful writing and ideas and will take you away to another world for a while :).

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2012/11/29/daughter-of-smoke-and-bone