Siege and Storm

Siege and Storm -

Siege and Storm is the second book in Leigh Bardugo’s Grisha trilogy and wow! I loved Shadow and Bone for the incredible new fantasy world and relatable characters. I love Siege and Storm even more for further exploring and answering some of my questions about the magic system, making me literally laugh out loud, and continuing to pull at my heart strings! (Do hearts have strings? Well mine does!) If you were a little unsure about the first book (I won’t judge!), then you should definitely go for it, because this series just keeps getting better!

Note: I read an ARC of Siege and Storm borrowed from a friend (thanks Krys!), so things might be a little different in the final copy. Also that amazing cover wasn’t on it, I need it!

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo (The Grisha #2)
Published by Henry Holt and Co. on June 4th, 2013
Genres: FantasyYA
Length: 448 pages
How I got my copy: Borrowed
Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her–or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

Strengths:

• I’m serious about the laughing out loud thing. A new character Sturmhond is introduced and he is fracking hilarious! Leigh Bardugo has captured my sense of humor perfectly in this character and I will take him if no one else wants him ;-).
  • A lot of fantasy settings have no technology because, well, it’s fantasy! I however don’t think this is a good excuse and love how Siege and Storm shows us the steps this world is taking towards technological progress. It just makes sense that bright people are going to want to invent things to improve their world, and they even have magic that specifically makes awesome materials!
  • Wow, that ending, just wow. No spoilers obviously, but Siege and Storm blew my socks off. I thought I knew how things would go, even had a back-up plan for how things could go. I was flat out wrong but so moved.
  • The feels! Siege and Storm made me bouncy happy and ugly cry and everything in between. There is a fair amount of romantic tension and it worked really well. I’m usually against drawn out tension like that, but it made perfect sense given the situation.

Weaknesses:

•  On that note, there might have been a touch too much melodrama with the romance and the feels. There is only so long I can go before yelling at the characters to just make a decision even if it’s hard. I’m also weird, so ya know ;-).
  • You know those cool amplifiers? The rules for how that magic works seem a little shaky, which I’m not a fan of. Magic systems need rules and the plot needs to work within those rules, otherwise things are too easy. I’m interested to see if there is some underlying perfectly reasonable rule set that just isn’t obvious yet. Please let there be one!

Summary:

Love love love! Shadow and Bone was cool but didn’t quite grab me. Siege and Storm grabbed me and through me against a wall! (In a good way, is there a good way for that?? There is now!) Siege and Storm made the Grisha books that I am seriously tempted to re-read once the third comes out. The story and writing and characters all just feel so comfy in my brain and make me smile just thinking about them. When is the third book coming out? Next year??? Nooooooooo. ;-)

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/05/27/siege-and-storm-by-leigh-bardugo