Poison

Poison - Bridget Zinn

One of the first things I noticed about Poison by Bridget Zinn was the cover. I’ve heard differing opinions, but I loved a cover that told most of the premise and had a heroine that wasn’t in an overly sexual pose. It’s so difficult to find covers like this on fantasy books! I also loved the depth of the cover, since I kept noticing new aspects to it (totally didn’t see the piglet the first time >.>)! Anyway, the cover also reveals the “Disney”-esque feel to Poison, in that it totally could be the cover to a Disney movie and has a plot line that very much reminded me of a Disney movie. So if you are up for a light-hearted fantasy that doesn’t take itself overly seriously, check out Poison.

Note: I bought a copy of Poison to review because I couldn’t resist that cover…. >.>

Goodreads Amazon | LibraryThing

Title: Poison
Author: Bridget Zinn
Length: 288 pages (hardcover)
Genre-ish: Light fantasy
Rating★★★fun for what it is

Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her? — Goodreads

Strengths:

• There were several times when my neighbors probably got annoyed at me because I laughed long and hard while reading Poison. I just love those witty lines :D.
  • Poison is not a book that just throws a cute piglet on the cover to be adorable. The pig has a purpose and it’s a very important one, yey!
  • Potions! I love the idea of a heroine whose greatest skill is in making and using potions. Freaking awesome.
  • Poison has a pretty typical “magic kingdom” world, but there are a few interesting and fun twists.

Weaknesses:

• The “potion” magic system in Poison is quite simplistic and convenient unfortunately.
  • There is a fair amount of vocabulary you wouldn’t expect in fantasy settings, though this fits in with the “Disney” feel.
  • Poison starts out all action-packed and cool, but it takes a fair while to explain the actual motivation that Kyra had for trying to assassinate her best friend. It makes sense once it’s explained, but I was a bit confused for the first part.

Summary:

Poison is great if you want a story that is light-hearted and fun with just enough fantasy elements to make your brain daydream. If you like Disney movies, you will probably like Poison ;-). Just don’t expect this to be an epic fantasy adventure since you would be setting yourself up for disappointment. As many of you know, the author of Poison, Bridget Zinn, passed away shortly after finishing Poison, and so there won’t be any sequels. I can assure you that Poison wraps up well and doesn’t really leave any questions, however I wish that there was the opportunity for deeper development of this world through later books.

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/04/09/poison-by-bridget-zinn