Entangled (Spellbound #1)

Entangled - Nikki Jefford

I was thrilled to receive Entangled by Nikki Jefford from Netgalley a few months ago. Unfortunately, my reading pile was so big that I only just got the chance to read it! However, I proceeded to burn through this one is two days, which is pretty impressive for me ;-). There are a lot of high school urban fantasy series out there right now, but I loved Entangled’s fresh plot twists. Who doesn’t love witches and body swapping?? Also that cover is gorgeous :D.

Goodreads Amazon (currently free!!)
Title:
 Entangled
Author: Nikki Jefford
Length: 303 pages
Genre-ish: YA urban fantasy
Rating★★★awesome plot, couldn’t put it down!

Two months after dying, seventeen-year-old witch Graylee Perez wakes up in her twin sister Charlene’s body.

Until Gray finds a way back inside her own body, she’s stuck being Charlene every twenty-hour hours. Her sister has left precise instructions on how Gray should dress and behave. Looking like a prep isn’t half as bad as hanging out with Charlene’s snotty friends and gropey boyfriend.

The “normals” of McKinley High might be quick to write her behavior off as post-traumatic stress, but warlock Raj McKenna is the only person who suspects Gray has returned from the dead.

Now Gray has to solve the mystery of her death and resurrection and disentangle herself from Charlene’s body before she disappears for good.. – Goodreads

Strengths:

•  I looooved the premise of Entangled. Witches are a pretty common theme these days, but witches that mysteriously die and wake up in their twin’s body? Awesome!
  • While you might worry there is a love triangle, there isn’t. Bonus points!
  • The plot of Entangled did not go the way I expected, though looking back maybe I should have thought about it harder. In any case, the villains and allies in this one will likely surprise you ;-).
  • Parents seem to get a bad rap in YA novels, so it was great to find a mom that knew her daughters were witches and was so supportive of them!

Weaknesses:

• The romance of Entangled seemed to develop pretty fast. I realize they are teenagers, but yikes!
  • There were some abrupt switches between characters and scenes. This was made worse by the incomplete formatting of my copy, but I checked out the version on Amazon now and it seems to be fixed :).

Summary:

Entangled by Nikki Jefford was fresh and compelling. If you love witches, YA urban fantasy, and body swapping: read this book! While I have minor quibbles about the main romantic interest, I got over them ;-). I’m super excited to read Duplicity (the sequel), since there are still some things that need to be fixed in Gray’s world, but there wasn’t any horrible cliffhanger :).

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/03/11/entangled-by-nikki-jefford