Persistence of Vision: Book 1 of Interchron

Persistence of Vision - Liesel K. Hill

I’ve been following L.K. Hill’s blog for a while now, and hearing about the updates as she made progress towards getting Persistence of Vision published at the beginning of this year. It was a pretty fun process to read about and cheer on, and I always enjoy the glimpses into the publishing world that author blogs give us ;-). I was super excited when Hill emailed me about her blog tour, since Persistence of Vision sounded like the perfect sci-fi dystopia for me! Thank you again for the review copy :D.
 Goodreads Amazon
Title:
 Persistence of Vision
Author: Liesel K. Hill
Length: 386 pages
Genre-ish: Sci-fi/Dystopia (with time-travel!)
Rating★★★fresh sci-fi with great characters

In a world where collective hives are enslaving the population and individuals have been hunted to the verge of extinction, Maggie Harper, and independent 21st Century woman, must find the strength to preserve the freedom of the future, but without the aid of her memories.

After experiencing a traumatic time loss, Maggie is plagued by a barrage of images she can’t explain. When she’s attacked by a creep with a spider’s web tattoo, she is saved by Marcus, a man she’s never met, but somehow remembers. He tells her that both he and her creepy attacker are from a future in which individuals are being murdered by collectives, and Marcus is part of the rebellion. The collectives have acquired time travel and they plan to enslave the human race throughout all of history. The flashes Maggie has been seeing are echoes of lost memories, and the information buried deep within them is instrumental in defeating the collective hives.

In order to preserve the individuality of mankind, Maggie must try to re-discover stolen memories, re-kindle friendships she has no recollection of, and wade through her feelings for the mysterious Marcus, all while dodging the tattooed assassins the collectives keep sending her way.

If Maggie can’t fill the holes in her memory and find the answers to stop the collectives, the world both in her time and in all ages past and future will be doomed to enslavement in the grey, mediocre collectives. As the danger swirls around her and the collectives close in, Maggie realizes she must make a choice: stand out or fade away… — Goodreads

Strengths:

•  The premise of Persistence of Vision is awesome with all the different neurological abilities and the collectives taking over the world. I haven’t read anything similar recently, which was a lot of fun!
  • It was a cool idea to have the main character suffer memory loss previously. I haven’t seen that done before either in the way Persistence of Vision uses it.
  • The romance element is adorable if a bit strained due to the circumstances. I think a lot of people will wish that it had more of a presence ;-).
  • Wow the villain plot twists, just wow.
  • There were some very moving scenes in Persistence of Vision, especially about 1/3 through the book, that really helped me connect with Maggie. She is a main character that I want on my team.

Weaknesses:

• I sort of wish there was a prequel to Persistence of Vision, or maybe a lot of flashbacks in the next book? Maggie’s memory loss ended up being a bit disorienting and made some things less climatic (like the big villain plot twist, if you know what I mean).
  • I’ve never liked the whole “humans only use 10% of their brain” explanation for super powers, since it’s just not really an accurate description of how the human brain works….
  • There is a character called the Remembrancer, and for some reason that word just doesn’t work for me. It just sounds like a silly word a kid would make up, but I could be crazy or overly picky…. Did that bother anyone else?

Summary:

If you have been on the hunt for a great sci-fi with some cool neurological powers and a dystopia element, then you have to check out Persistence of Vision. I’m so freaking excited for the sequel, since there is a lot left to get discovered :D. While there were a couple things that bothered me, those were probably peculiarities of mine, so if they don’t sound annoying to you, don’t even worry about it ;-). I especially like the classic sci-fi feel of addressing concerns about morality through the use of storytelling, since the collectives do try at points to justify themselves as the correct way to live. Persistence of Vision raises great questions about what you would do in a similar circumstance, or how human kind could possibly have avoided the road it went down. I’m very much looking forward to reading anything Hill writes next :).

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/03/07/persistence-of-vision