Bayou Moon (Edge Series #2)

Bayou Moon - Ilona Andrews

A monster without any family and a young woman suddenly forced to lead her family when her parents are kidnapped are thrown together in a plot much thicker than either of them could guess in Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews. Fortunately for them, they are both pretty darn attractive, so once this annoying villain thing is taken care of, things look promising ;-).

I think it’s been established that I’m a huuuuge Ilona Andrews fan. I love herKate Daniels series and I love the first book in the Edge series, On the Edge. What’s that you say? Haven’t read On the Edge? No worries! The Edge books are not a sequential series and each book is nearly a standalone. The only spoilers that you’ll get are if the first pair gets together and what ends up happening to them (both of which are pretty obvious since it’s a romance ;-) ). You can read Bayou Moon and still enjoy On the Edge’s plot. However, if you want to be completely pristine, you should start with On the Edge.
 Goodreads Amazon
Title:
Bayou Moon
Author: Ilona Andrews
Pages: 447 (paperback)
Genre-ish: Urban (swamp?) fantasy
Rating★★★ really fun, minor flaws

The Edge lies between worlds, on the border between the Broken, where people shop at Walmart and magic is a fairytale–and the Weird, where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny…

Cerise Mar and her unruly clan are cash poor but land rich, claiming a large swathe of the Mire, the Edge swamplands between the state of Louisiana and the Weird. When her parents vanish, her clan’s long-time rivals are suspect number one.

But all is not as it seems. Two nations of the Weird are waging a cold war fought by feint and espionage, and their conflict is about to spill over into the Edge—and Cerise’s life . William, a changeling soldier who left behind the politics of the Weird, has been forced back into service to track down a rival nation’s spymaster.

When William’s and Cerise’s missions lead them to cross paths, sparks fly—but they’ll have to work together if they want to succeed…and survive. – Goodreads

Strengths:

• Yey William! I was thrilled when I found out Bayou Moon featured William, who was a minor character from On the Edge, he rocks :D and totally deserves to get the girl ;-).
  • The bad guy is suuuuuper creepy and bad, but also explains why he is the way he is and it makes a fair amount of sense in a demented bad guy way. All of this gives Bayou Moon an awesome bad guy that you love to hate :D.
  • Daw, the romance is so cute! Even when you want to smack ‘em in the head and lock them in a room together, haha!
  • Those plots twists… wow, did not see them coming! Some of them were pretty shiver worthy too, but I bet you will be surprised by Bayou Moon :).

Weaknesses:

• I just couldn’t get into the swamp setting…. All the gross dampness and mud and snakes popping up out of water *shivers* made me not super excited to dive make in (haha).
  • Gah, gross scenes are gross! I won’t spoil anything, but there is a bit of gore and injury that disturbed me, not for the faint of heart.
  • Part of the ending was epic, but then the rest wrapped up pretty suddenly in a neat little bow, which is never realistic ;-).

Summary:

The plot and characters of Bayou Moon were marvelous, simply marvelous! I just couldn’t get myself into the setting for some reason, and the gruesomeness of the villain just went too far for me at times *shivers*, but if you think you can deal with those moments of discomfort, you should definitely continue with the Edge books because they are just so much fun! I still just completely love the magic of the Edge and having new main characters for each books seems to be working really well to expand the world. I’m on to book three now :D.

Source: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2013/01/10/bayou-moon