Dogs and Goddesses by Jennifer Cruise, Anne Stuart and Lani Diane Rich is the story about three woman, and their awesome dogs, meeting, becoming and battling ancient Mesopotamian goddesses; oh and their dogs start talking :D
When I had a twelve-hour drive I went over to the library and grabbed at any audio-books that looked fun and easy. Dogs and Goddesses looked exactly like the book I was thinking of and it was! If you like audio-books, this is a great one for audio, because dog voices are adorbs!!
Title: Dogs and Goddesses
Authors: Jennifer Cruise, Anne Stuart and Lani Diane Rich
Pages: 400 (paperback)
Genre-ish: Adult Contemporary with a little Fantasy and a lot of Romance
Rating: ★★★★☆ - Really fun story, little over the top
Setting: Modern setting in Small Town, USA, but with a Mesopotamian goddess (not historically accurate) who has and gives real magic.
Premise: Daisy, Abby and Char are three dog-loving women who have never met before a mysterious dog training class starts up in their town. After the first meeting they start realizing that things are not at all what they seem…. And they all have some magic in their heritage they didn’t know about, which comes in handy when they have to save the world.
- Really fun and strong female leads who start out as ordinary women and find out a lot about themselves and their strength!
- The audio-book edition’s narrator does the best dog voices ever! :D
- Fun and interesting plot of how an ancient goddess would react to being accidentally reawakened in our time :)
- There was definitely a strong romance aspect given that part of the goddess magic involves sex, so definitely not PG-13 and a little much for me, ha.
- I wish that it was based on actual Mesopotamian myths instead of something made up for the book to work.
- For reasons that will be clear for anyone reading the book, I craved cookies every time I listened to the book D:
For a random book I found on the shelf of the library, I really enjoyed this book! It’s certainly not high-brow fantasy, but would make for a great airplane or road trip book. I highly encourage you to get the audio-book if you have any interest or want to try out audio-books for the first time, since puppy voices are the best!!